dv4z team mailing list archive

Re: Saying Hallo and asking a question

Thanks for your reply.

I tried to boot with your flags set in grup but it did not make any differences. Maybe we have a different card reader.
This are some details about my card reader:

           *-system:0
                product: SD/MMC Host Controller
                vendor: JMicron Technologies, Inc.
                physical id: 0.1
                bus info: pci@0000:08:00.1
                version: 00
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm pciexpress msi bus_master cap_list
                configuration: driver=sdhci-pci latency=0 module=sdhci_pci
           *-system:1 UNCLAIMED
                product: Standard SD Host Controller
                vendor: JMicron Technologies, Inc.
                physical id: 0.2
                bus info: pci@0000:08:00.2
                version: 00
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm pciexpress msi cap_list
                configuration: latency=0
           *-system:2 UNCLAIMED
                product: MS Host Controller
                vendor: JMicron Technologies, Inc.
                physical id: 0.3
                bus info: pci@0000:08:00.3
                version: 00
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm pciexpress msi bus_master cap_list
                configuration: latency=0
           *-system:3 UNCLAIMED
                product: xD Host Controller
                vendor: JMicron Technologies, Inc.
                physical id: 0.4
                bus info: pci@0000:08:00.4
                version: 00
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm pciexpress msi bus_master cap_list
                configuration: latency=0

By the way I also use the flag i8042.reset while booting because otherwise resume from suspend to ram does not work correctly.

have a nice day

Moritz Nadler

Guy Stalnaker schrieb:
Hallo Moritz,

Unfortunately, I do not have the same error with my SD cards.  I plug
them in, I get a dialog box asking me what to do with the card and I go
from there.

But, that said, I likely have some kernel startup params in use that you
may not have if you're using a stock system (that is, if you haven't
manually modified the grub startup menu.lst file as I have).

So you'll understand, I have had significant issues with sound and
resume from suspend mode.  I have several boot params in use which fix
the issues for me. But I cannot say if these params affect the mounting
of the SD card in the reader slot. Perhaps they do.  It's an easy thing
to check for yourself. And since you have a dv4, you might benefit as
well from having them. Here's what the default entry in my
/boot/grup/menu.lst file looks like:

<quote>
title		Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-11-generic
uuid		68accc02-5a31-47c3-9ef2-55bb51cb643d
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic
root=UUID=68accc02-5a31-47c3-9ef2-55bb51cb643d ro pci=noacpi pci=biosirq
i8042.reset
initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic
</quote>

Since pci management is part of the mount processes (the SD card slot is
a pci bus device), perhaps the pci=noacpi has a positive affect for me.
 The pci=biosirq is there to help the kernel when it probes the sound
hardware.  The i8042.reset is there for the resume on suspend to get the
keyboard/mouse back.

Of course, your mileage may vary, but it can't hurt to try them.  If you
can't get any traction this way then the kernel developers are perhaps
your best source for help (though I can find useful information on the
Ubuntu forums, I often feel as if the blind are leading the blind there
and we're all just sharing our ignorance :-)

Regards,

Guy