inx-devel team mailing list archive

Work in Progress ...

Hello all,

I have started work on a "two stage" installer. It is two stages
because it uses a CLI Ubuntu install as a base from which to install
INX-specific tweaks and scripts etc.

I got the idea from "crunchbang linux" - they do a similar thing.

It works like this:

1) Install a command line Ubuntu 8.04 using for example the Ubuntu
mini.iso netboot CD (9.5 MB)

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hardy-updates/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/mini.iso

You type 'cli' at the prompt and off you go... Of course a decent wired
Internet connection is required, since you will be downloading a couple
of hundred MB data by the time you finish. You could probably do the
same thing with the so-called "alternate" CD though. You get an
"ubuntu-standard" install without X, of course.

The beauty of this approach is that we don't have to scratch our heads
over partitioning and Grub, and people can put INX on a partition for
dual boot etc.  *grin*.

2) Reboot into the installed cli Ubuntu, which with the net install
will be 8.04.3, then grab

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~inx-devel/inx/netinxtaller/annotate/head%3A/netinxtaller

or probably easier,

wget http://inx.maincontent.net/netinxtaller

Since I am working on this, the bzr version might be more recent. The
current one has changes and is possibly broken, since I haven't
actually run it yet (I used version 1 as a test).

3) The usual drill:

chmod +x netinxtaller
sudo ./netinxtaller

(No, it doesn't have colours ;P)

4) Actually there's another stage. You need to run choice number 1 from
update-inx after doing this, to get the dot files and so on. Obviously
that will be fixed in the netinxtaller asap.

After running netinxtaller, run update-inx and hit (1), for now. The
INX scripts will be installed by then, so it should be there.

So there you go - something to test! Reports to this list please - no
announcements on inx@ until it's a bit less scary *g*

If you want to follow or participate in development:

https://code.launchpad.net/~inx-devel/inx/netinxtaller

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 8.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net