Re: Compiling KiCAD release version March 2011

On 21 March 2011 21:11, Dick Hollenbeck <dick@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The interesting thing about those instructions is that it highlights the
> [new?] fact that wxWidgets can now be built on Windows without MSYS, or
> CYGWIN.  This is a significant development.
>
> And if true, it now means that CMake can probably drive the invocation of
> wxWidgets build process:
>

> cd wxMSW-2.8.11/build/msw
> mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc SHARED=0 UNICODE=1 USE_OPENGL=1 BUILD=release
> mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc SHARED=0 UNICODE=1 USE_OPENGL=1 BUILD=debug
>

> using CMake's "external project" mechanism.

I think this is perfectly possible. But I also have to modify the
/include/wx/msw/setup.h file as indicated too, otherwise you get the
list of problems that Milind has run into. Cmake can handle patching
before building though, so it shouldn't be a problem.

> I could be hired to help you, but I won't spend a moment on Windows for free.
>
> Sorry.
>
> But with this information, I expand my suggestion that a Windows developer
> also enhance or write a CMake script so that it builds everything needed for
> Windows.
>
> This way it knows what is built, and where it is.  The same can be one on
> linux for Windows, as I mentioned late last week.  But this is an expansion
> of the idea to include:
>
> on Window for Windows.
>

> Code blocks is a side show in this discussion and plays no role in building
> if CMake is the underlying build tool.

I might be able to find some time to investigate that. Now my car is
finally on the road, I might actually have some spare time in the
evenings!

Best Regards,

Brian.