Re: Was the initial graphics mode screen removed?

On 1/11/22 03:24 PM, Seth Hillbrand wrote:
We will not directly disable running in a VM.

Our stance is that if there are issues running KiCad in a VM, they should be reported to the maker of the VM, not KiCad.

I'm going to have to disagree with that stance a little, Seth.  The initial bug report https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/8944 was from a Virtualbox user.  Then I saw the problem using the native Linux KVM.  Two different VM implementations.  And I think the root cause was a KiCad bug where the code didn't properly test for GLX_EXT_swap_control_tear.  So reporting to either of those VM makers would not have been effective, in this case.

Regardless, I'm glad you won't be disabling VM support because I need KiCad to work in a VM.  That is the only way I can test the official Fedora releases that I build.  Specifically, I'll first try my builds out in an F34 VM, a Rawhide VM, etc. before unleashing them on the community.

I don't have multiple physical machines running all those different Fedora editions, let alone Ubuntu and some others that I occasionally test with, so if I lose VM capability, I'll lose the ability to test what I build.

	Steve