Re: Call for review: PCManFM is almost ready for a new release.

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 1:07 PM, PCMan <pcman.tw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thank you for the patches. I took some time to look at them and found
> some issues.
>
>    jmarsden committed 1963619
>    Add LINGUAS, reference doc files and libfm-pref-apps.desktop launcher:

Regarding to the LINGUAS file, we have a special issue here.
In the past, we ship LINGUAS file with the packages. After we
introduced online tranlation systems, I changed this part and have the
configure script scan the po dir, and build the LINGUAS file
on-the-fly. So each time a new language is added from the translation
systems, nobody needs to edit the LINGUAS file.

Pros:
1. Nobody needs to maintain LINGUAS file.
2. Everytime a new language is added, it's immediately available and
will be picked up automatically by the build process so users can test
the translations immediately.
3. XFCE, AFAIK, seems to use similar approach

Cons:
1. If some newly added po files are broken, this automatically breaks
the build process.
2. Some translation with bad quality becomes available before they're
well-tested.

Current approach is very convenient, but later proven to be
problematic sometimes if there are some broken po files added to the
repo. So, should we change it? If we do change it, I hope that our
translation coordinator can help maintain the LINGUAS files for all
LXDE components to keep them up to date.
Any comments?