Re: Lubuntu Manual?

On 29 July 2011 09:12, Swapnil Bhartiya <swapnil.bhartiya@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 07/29/2011 12:51 AM, Phill Whiteside wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> sorry for the delay in answering, it does take a couple of days for me
>> to get in touch with people and await for them to respond.
>>
>> My current thinking and proposal is that we do actually add a Lubuntu
>> section to the main manual. This will cover parts that are specifically
>> Lubuntu. It is, however, no minor task as we would be altering a lot of
>> pages to include references to Lubuntu for specific tasks. I'd like a
>> bit more time to chat with the Manual team and ask them what they suggest.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Phill.
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks. I have a proposal
> 1. Do we keep this discussion here or discuss within a group, so that what
> ever conversation you have with the team and see what they suggest.
> 2. I can create a TOC (table of content) based on the Ubuntu manual and
> share with the team. We have experience with manuals as we also created
> Linux Mint manual and Fedora 15 manual. So, we can create a TOC and focus on
> what is specific to Lubuntu (especially installing on variety of hardware
> and driver issues, if any).
> 3. We can also add section on light weight apps, which don't come
> pre-installed but can be useful for users for specific tasks.
> 4. We can also have a tips/tricks chapter to better utilize Lubuntu.
> 5. The entire manual will be created from scratch. Don't worry about
> man-hours we will have to invest in creating it. If we start early we can
> deliver the manual the day Lubuntu 11.10 is launched.
>
> Note: we can also create additional YouTube manual.
>
> Swapnil

I think the excitement about documentation is great, you can never
work too hard on documentation. However I don't see the value in
creating yet another source. I'd be more excited to see people
contributing to the already existing documentation on the Wiki [0],
the help site [1] [2] and the semi-official manual [3]. Dispersing
effort on multiple projects to achieve the same goal seems a bit
counter-productive to me but I guess that's the great thing about
Linux, everyone is free to do as they please.

[0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu
[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation
[2] https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/ubuntu-help/index.html
[3] http://ubuntu-manual.org/