Re: Test Lubuntu Lucid 10.04.3 ISO image available

On 07/31/2011 03:03 PM, Phill Whiteside wrote:

> It seems that Chromium, and most certainly Oracle VM bitch out big
> time at the filename, when I renamed it as .iso, it was a happy
> bunny.

It *is* a .iso file as provided, isn't it??  Filename is supposed to be
lubuntu-lucid-20110731-i386.iso which has only one period in it, and
ends in .iso, so even brain-dead Windows-style apps that use the .???
suffix to guess at file types should be fine.  That was the idea, anyway :)

I used wget and Firefox to download it as a test, and both worked fine
for me.  Virtualbox is buggy in handling filenames with very weird
characters in them (like Sanskrit काचं -- I tend to test UTF-8 handling
with *really* unusual characters!), but my test ISO used only normal
boring USASCII in its filename...

Anyway, most folks who have been using Linux since at least April 2010
will by now have learned to use wget as their trusted download tool of
choice, right?  So

  wget -c http://phillw.net/lubuntu-lucid-20110731-i386.iso

should work in any Linux (or FreeBSD or NetBSD or Solaris) with wget
installed, and also in Windows if you install the GNUwin32 wget and put
it in your $PATH (which people who do much downloading of big ISO files
in Windows would be well advised to do, in my view!).  I think wget
exists for Mac OS X too, but I lack the details.

> My only other thought, that will possibly cause some discussion is
> the version of pcmanfm.

And more generally, on updating packages... yes.

My sense is we should do the basics first.  So: (1) get a working
10.04.3 image out there based on lucid and lucid-updates, and then (2)
we can further enhance it as time and interest allows with newer
versions of stuff, backports, etc.

> As it is a community rebuild, would getting rid of pcman 0.5.x and
> popping on pcmanfm 0.9., ...

May I ask the obvious question: Has someone packaged pcmanfm 0.9 for
Lucid, and got it accepted into lucid-backports ?

That would be the "official" way to go about doing this, and it would
benefit existing users of the Lubuntu 10.04 release who want to enable
lucid-backports and update things, as well as users of a new 10.04.3
image.  I don't see the package there in lucid-backports.

HOWEVER: *first*, the 10.04.3 image needs to work as designed, and
actually install to a hard disk :)  I'm about to start looking at that.
 I think I may have used an image archive (casper, isolinux, etc.) from
the 11.04 alpha timeframe; maybe using the one from the original Lubuntu
10.04 ISO would be more appropriate.  All the lucid, lucid-udpates and
lucid-backports packages for i386 are now here in my local repo, so I
should be at the "ten minutes to make a new ISO" stage for Lubuntu
10.04.3 now.

Jonathan