Re: Lubuntu 11.10 Beta 2 - Testing

You most welcome and thanks a lot for your reply :)

1- See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/casper/+bug/854837
> It would be very useful to provide more information about it, as it seems
> to affect more people and more configuratiosn than I though.

How can I provide more info about it? Shall I check this:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingCasper and report back here?

3- I chose "Something Else" and created a new Partition (sda9) with
*3.91GB* from
> un-allocated disk space. Please note that I'm Multi-Booting several Distros
> on this test PC. GRUB was installed into sda9 not MBR (sda). Installation
> was smooth and errors-free.

Apparently, Lubuntu 11.10 "can" be installed on less than 4GB HDD. I think I
have read it somewhere that there is an error or bug because the installer
require more than 4GB. Am I right? just thought to highlight this because
this is important for those who wants to install Lubuntu on 4GB USB Drive.

4- It's currently not supported. How do you find to this screen using the
> installer ?

If it's not supported, will this feature be included with the final release
of Lubuntu 11.10?

Sorry, what do you mean by "How do you find to this screen using the
installer"???

5- It should not happen if you don't do anything like plug in a new media.
> Is it reproducible ? Are you using a USB stick or a live CD ?

I was installing from LiveCD.
No, I haven't inserted anything. I was so surprised because that was my
first time I see such message or pop-up window during the installation.
Reproducible? shall I re-install Lubuntu 11.10? I got it during the
installation process which has already begun and I'm not quite sure whether
I'll get it or not. I did not get it on my 2nd and 3rd test on the other PC
(I'll send an email about it later today hopefully).

6- Yes, sometime it doesn't work, but it's safe to just reboot by hand.

 I figured that out. Thanks a lot :)

7- Thanks, we have great artists around here ;-)

Indeed he's great. It would be great too if more wallpapers can be added?
say total 12 instead of 6 maybe?

8- That would be nice to have a test case, when it's always reproducible. I
> can't currently reproduce it.

This is weird. I had it like 3-4 times yesterday and it happened when I was
writing my first email about my test. I can't reproduce it as of now but
I'll keep trying. I'll also check if the same can happen on my 2nd PC. As I
previously mentioned, I'm testing Lubuntu 11.10 beta 2 on two test PCs :)
Ok, the 2nd PC is actually next to me so I just tried to reproduce the same
thing but nothing has changed.
I'll try to provide an update later. I'll focus on what was opened at that
time and what is the item I wanted to select from the menu. I think that
would be better :)

9- Seems a bug yes, but only a display bug. Is the network working for you ?

Yes, on this PC, my Wireless Connection is working and my Wired Connection
too. I'm connected to the internet via Range Extender through Wireless
Network.

I did a simple testing while I'm writing this reply:
- Right Click on the Connections Icon showed this screen:
http://ubuntuforums.org/picture.php?albumid=2432&pictureid=8204

- Ticked "*Enable Networking*" and Ticked "*Enable Wireless*".
http://ubuntuforums.org/picture.php?albumid=2432&pictureid=8212

- I un-checked/un-ticked "*Enable Networking*" and Ticked "*Enable Wireless*".
My Networks got disconnected. I Ticked "*Enable Networking*" and
Ticked "*Enable
Wireless*" yet again and connections back to work.

So I think you are right. It's a display bug but it's confusing.

Shall I log a bug report?

10 - Thanks, bug reported :
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lxappearance-obconf/+bug/860105

You most welcome :)
It seems that you have the same issue. I just read the bug and I noticed
it's amd64 not i386. Shall I add my notes on the same bug report?

11-

a) It's not installed on Ubuntu also, and I'm not sure it's working nicely
> with lxdm.

I always install it after I'm done with installation whether it's Ubuntu or
Lubuntu. Yes, it's not included in Ubuntu as well. It would be nice to have
it.
I noticed it doesn't work unless you login to the desktop. From my
understanding, it should work right after booting because the same option is
Enabled in BIOS. However, in my case, it always work right after I login to
the desktop after I type my login password.
A for lxdm and gdm, never had an issue with both.

> b) dnsmasq-base, which contains the dnsmasq program is installed by
> default, its should be sufficient in this case.

I just checked and indeed it's there. Thanks :)

> c)  This one is for advanced usages, an average user should not have to
> touch the partitions after the installation. Ubuntu do the same thing. You
> can still install it after the installation.

Yes, I'm aware of that but as long as you can install it after you are done
with installation, anyone else can do that too :)
With Ubuntu 9.10, it was installed by default but starting from 10.04, they
removed it. However, it's included in the LiveCD.
Just wanted to share my opinion. I'd love to see it installed by default by
that's me :) not sure if other users have the same wish.

d) Proprietary software, we can't include it by default.

I see. Thanks :)

12- Please report the bugs directly under the LSC project :
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/lubuntu-software-center
> The problem of the search box should be fixed in the last revision.

Will do that :)

13- Some pcmanfm crashes have been identified, but ususally you should just
> let apport reporting bugs.

You mean "Send Crash Report"? I did that already but it didn't work, didn't
send anything. Yes, I was connected to the internet.
Some screenshots will be useful? please let me know what shall I do and I'll
gladly do it :)

14- It's the themes by default for the theme engine, we can't currently
> removed them. But it's not a problem of space, because themes here are only
> text files (for configuration).

As long as there is no problem with space, then I see no harm to keep them
all :)

Thanks a lot, Julien :)

I'll try to send my notes about the other tests later  today but I first
need to eat and drink some tea. I jumped from bed to my PC to reply you. I
can't get rid of that old habit :D

Regards,
A.J