Re: How To Access PCs on Local Network

On 11/22/2011 01:17 AM, Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:

>> In pcmanfm, click on Go ->  Network Drives, and browse to the
>> desired machine and share.

> Under Go > Network I only see Windows Network (I don't have any
> windows machines, all are either Ubuntu or openSUSE) , clicking on it
> does nothing.

This means that your other machine (the OS it is running, Linux,
Windows, OS X, FreeBSD, etc. is not directly relevant) is not running an
SMB-based file sharing service on its LAN interface.

My earlier reply to you started out with:

>> Assuming the "other PCs" are sharing files using the SMB protocol

But you apparently ignored that, and failed to quote it in your reply.
Had you initially asked how to access files on Linux machines on the
local network that were only accessible over SSH, you might have
received more appropriate responses for your (unusual) situation.

gvfs, which is used by both Nautilus and pcmanfm, can handle a variety
of file sharing protocols; knowing which one is appropriate to connect
to your fileserver(s) is important.  Feel free to document all the
protocols gvfs handles, if you think that would benefit Lubuntu users.
Please don't just document the one protocol you happen to be using :)

To receive a good answer, you need to ask a good (clearly written) question.

Jonathan