Re: [Ayatana] Things I have noticed

Natan Yellin wrote:
How about, for starters, adding a gconf option to show an X icon on notifications. I personally think it makes sense not to have one, but if people want one then you should let them have it. (And normal users, who you're trying to train to use notifications in a specific way, will never turn on the X because they don't even know what gconf is.)
Given that we have limited resources, we'll probably focus those resources on the main target audience. So, this isn't something we'll spend time on. But a patch that adds this would likely be accepted (if I was doing the review of the design).

A tricky thing you'll need to get right is signalling the "clickthrough vs click-on" nature of the [X]. We are currently working on theming, and we've got a number of different overlays, some of which are clickable-and-dragable, some of which are click-through, some of which are clickable but not dragable. You'll need to think hard about whether mouseover should still blur the overlay when you are moving towards the [X] - you'll need to decide if it even blurs the [X]!

(You may not have seen the full story with notifications blurring when you mouse over them, depending on build and graphics stack on your machine).

Mark