Re: [Ayatana] Things I have noticed

Jordan Mantha wrote:
I agree with these for sure. I'm having issues with positioning
because I use the top-right of my screen a lot and I keep having
notifications "flashing" because I'm using my mouse in the area of the
notification. Bottom-right would work a lot better for me I think.

Bottom-right makes appending very difficult, because the existing bubble has to expand UPWARDS in order to append content at the bottom.

I have to admit, when I first saw notify-osd a few months ago, I hated it.
But now that more applications are supporting the system, it feels *a lot*
better -- not perfect, but better.

Ditto. For as much as I've complained (even though I've always
attempted to be constructive about it) about notify-osd over the last
couple months, Jaunty ended up pretty well. I think there is a lot
more to be done, and maybe some things to rethink, but I appreciate
Canonical's work on opening this project up more to the community and
hope they can do even more for Karmic.

It feels like we need to do the following to be successful:

 - expand the number of apps which respect the spec and don't send actions when the display agent doesn't support them, getting rid of the ugly fallback dialog
 - generalise the messaging menu, and expand the set of indicators, to provide persistent action-like-loopback for the cases that matter
 - add gconf options for a few things which advanced users say they want, which we don't want typical users to have to worry about, but which ultimately boil down to being a matter of taste

Patches for the latter will be gratefully accepted, though exactly what falls into the latter may be contentious :-)

Mark