Re: [Ayatana] "Power information" notifications

David Siegel wrote:
This seems exactly right to me, except for one details: we should show a different icon when you plug in your AC power, rather than the same percentage full battery icon we would show if you were to unplug at the same moment. When AC power is connected, the user is primarily interested in two things:

 1. Confirmation that the AC adapter was plugged in and the computer is now charging (some laptops have finicky plugs).
 2. (Maybe) how much time remains until the battery is fully charged.

Showing a plugged-in icon, or a variable level battery icon with a charging emblem will reassure the user that the AC power is working. If we just show a battery level, the user will have to read the notification to have confidence that the act of plugging into AC power worked.
I think the charging emblem is important, too. If that means we need a relatively large set of icons, it's OK (i.e. 10% increments, duplicated for charging and discharging). SVG's are efficient and  easy to produce in bulk like that.

Mark