Re: [Ayatana] notify-osd + fullscreen + multiple monitors

Rick Spencer wrote:
Using full screen for "the user doesn't want notifications" seems a bit
blunt to me, though perhaps would work fine in practice. Moving
notifications to a different screen seems like a lot of unpredictability
to me.

Here are some more ideas ... I'm sure you've considered them, but
thought I'd offer them up ...

 * Allow a right click on the MI that has a "pause notifications"
command. Simple and direct without attempting to read the user's mind.

We won't have right-click options on the indicators.

 * Perhaps an API call to pause notifications that can be called by apps
when they definitively know?

Yes, this is an option. If so, the user should be able to call the same API, effectively. The plan is to have a presence setting which influences this. That plan is a little sketchy right now, because "choke non-critical notifications" is orthogonal to the existing presence settings, and it needs thinking through.

 * Similar API call, but proxied through gnome session or FUSA that sets
a "do not disturb" flag that an be used by notifications and other apps
as well.

Ed Zachary :-)