[Ayatana] a "radically different" solution for updates and reboot requests

Paulo J. S. Silva ha scritto:
Hi,

Sorry for the long message, must I need to set some context before going
to the point.

I am trying to bring the discussion on update-manger changes, with its
new pop-under behavior to this forum as suggested in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-notifier/+bug/332945/comments/384

I originarily wanted to add comments to the wiki page, but it is oriented to notifications while this is a specific idea for the notification manager, so I finally deleted it from the wiki and I post it here.

The proposal is very simple: still create a persistent notification in the notification area. However, this is not an icon, but rather a text in the same font of the panel menus and the user-switch applet. Clicking on it revelas some choices of actions to do, thus making it effectively a pop-up menu which appears in the notification area.

Advantages:

- it does not invade the user's own space (I like Peter's concept a lot)
- it is immediately clear what the system is saying to the user
- it is a persistent notification
- it does not interfere with alt+tab
- it effectively uses that big grey area between the notification area and the menus, instead of disturbing other areas of the screen

Disadvantages:

- it may be a problem on crowded panels. An option (like FUSA) would be necessary to change the text back into an icon.

- no overlap would be allowed hence it is good for a few critical applications. This can even be considered an advantage: I do not see other use cases than alarms (e.g. temperature high, reboot required, updates are available). There are very few and _likely_ if there is one active, we want the user to respond to that call, instead of presenting the next. Priorities could eventually be used (e.g. disk low will surely need to precede updates available or it gets stuck).

Notice that changing the text into an icon would NOT call back the problems that have been claimed over the notification area icon (that is, difficult recognisability) for the following two reasons:

1) the user has consciously changed the behaviour and has *requested* the icon hence surely he knows what that icon means 2) ordinary users DO NOT have a crowded panel and DO NOT NEED to change the setting.

Here is a screenshot

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NotificationDesignGuidelines/Comments?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=text-notification.jpg

The same method can also be used by reboot requests.

2) Since the notifications are transient in nature, queue them in the
indicator applet (that would require the indicator-applet to be in the
panel by default).

I'd love this too, because the point of the update-notifier kind of notifications is that the system has something to say to you, and it wants it to be synchronous. That's instant messaging.

Let me explain the motivation for this proposal. first, I must emphasize
that I like the new notify-OSD framework and the will to clean up the
notification area. I completely agree that a icon only belongs to the
application area if it represents a running application and allows some
constrained iteration with this application, like in media players
(where you can skip a song, for example, without opening the full
application). The old behavior of update-manager use it to present a
permanent notification that is not tailored to a running application.
This is not a good use for that area.

However, pop-up or under is not a good idea either. It is usually
considered very annoying by many users, see the hundreds of comments on
the bug report cited above and the tens of duplicates it has.

The above summarises the mood of many.

Vincenzo