Re: [Ayatana] Getting users to care (was Re: [Fwd: Re: Update manager])

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:40:12 +0530 mac_v <drkvi-a@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>It is accepted that the icon is NOT very useful and also ignored

I have to disagree.  This has been repeatedly asserted, but I don't recall
any actual studies that support this.

This change has been overwhelmingly negatively received by all classes of
user.

My own view is that the old method was quite reasonably discoverable for
users that cared about updates and that being more obvious isn't going to
cause signficant numbers of users that don't care to suddenly start doing
so.  I think mostly this change is annoying both groups.

I believe the current efforts try to solve the wrong problem.  I think it
would be a better use of this mental energy trying to figure out how to get
more users to care about updates.

I've been stunned to be talking to people who said they didn't care if
their computers were part of a botnet because they didn't keep any private
information on their computers.  Trying to find a way to be sufficiently
obtrusive to make users care about something they don't really care about
isn't, in my opinion, a recipe for success.
What about trying to educate people about other reasons to install updates. For example, it's worth pointing out that updates often contain bug fixes.

Natan