Re: [Ayatana] Updates on Login

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Paulo J. S. Silva <pjssilva@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Are you kidding?

Wouldn't it be much more reasonable to do this at shutdown (or logout for users that don't shutdown). When I login, I want to my stuff. When I logout I am saying: "I'm done for know".

When I'm finished work, I'm in a much bigger hurry than when I'm arriving. I want to go home, see my friends, and have fun. I don't want to wait for the computer to update. When I'm logging in however, MOST of the time I'm about to do work for a while, so I have time to sit and wait for updates.

Imagine that you are leaving home, a little late, and decide to look for a map in google maps. Wife and kids are already in the car. The you scream from the office "Dear, will have to wait for five minutes more because Ubuntu is forcing me to update now!"

There's a big issue with reading on this list. If you read what David and I both said, you're not forced to update. You have to tell it to update.

--
--Alex Launi