Re: [Ayatana] Updates on Login (was: Re: [Fwd: Update manager])

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:22 AM, tacone<tacone@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:02 AM, David
> Siegel<david.siegel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I think this is the ideal, but every time I start to bring up implicit
>> updates, I get smacked :)

Had the same experience :-)

> Understandable.
> I should also say that browser upgrades are different from whole OS
> upgrade (not to mention we have PPA's and similar stuff).

Of course whole os upgrades are more complicated, but that doesn't
make it impossible. There are some problems to be solved (eg firefox
behaving strangely when it is updated while in use), but I haven't
seen any probkem brought up that can't be solved.

> That said, the setting for automated upgrades already exists
> (system->administration->software sources->updates).

That works only for security updates.

> If you feel this
> is important, consider proposing a more prominent place to let users
> opt-in automated upgrades. (like, say, Ubiquity. We may place a
> "Perform the upgrades for me" checkbox just under the 'autologin'
> checkbox)

That would be nice, and have it checked by default.

Wouter