Re: [Ayatana] New notification placement

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 2:06 AM, Mirco
Müller<mirco.mueller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>        Questions now are... should the fade-prevention still kick in, if the
> mouse pointer is hidden?

Nope, I don't think so. The user can't see the mouse and is not aware
of its position, so it will lead to a confusing experience (it took me
a long time to figure out why my notifications were faded when it
happened to me multiple times). When hidden, the position of the
cursor doesn't provide useful information and should be ignored.

> Should notify-osd unhide the mouse-pointer,
> thus overriding another app's decision (would be considered intrusive
> behaviour of notify-ods)?

No, I don't think so, this would be even weirder. If I am watching a
full-screen video in Totem or playing a full-screen game the cursor is
typically hidden; un-hiding it would serve no purpose and I can't
think of a scenario where it would, except for maybe a game which
hides the system cursor and draws its own.

> Can notify-osd detect a hidden mouse-pointer
> at all (afaik, hiding the mouse-pointer is app-specific, read: focused
> window)?

I would assume this is possible, I'd look into the mouse state during
a full-screen totem video and see if anything is different. There must
be a way! Maybe there is a simple call for visibility.

--
Michael Rooney
mrooney@xxxxxxxxxx