Re: [Ayatana] Message Indicator: Listing apps in menu even if they are not on

Roderick B. Greening wrote:
Not in my opinion... if it's for "indications/messages" then it has no right
to pretend to be anything other than that (i.e. a menu). Trying to be a menu,
seems counterintuitive to me. We already have a menu, and presenting the user
with two places to look... confusing. IMO.

We will not always have a menu.

Personally, I only want to see "active" message indications, and not wade
through a potentially long list of applications.
Agreed. The default list there should be very small. Anything you install after that, we can assume you wanted to install (leaving aside the multi-user case). In the case where one is adding lots of things, like...
 Lets assume one could install
10-20 different messaging apps, and they all show up here, how big would the
messaging pane appear on your screen in this scenario?

... one should be able to configure the apps NOT to appear if that's not the desired outcome of installing them.

I'm no Ul expert, but that seems rather "clunky". However, if we only show
active apps/messages, that list should be substantially smaller (in theory).

... the list needs to be able to *activate* the apps you want quick and consistent access to, though ;-)

Mark