Re: [Ayatana] [Less is More] Nautilus Context menu

On Friday 26,March,2010 03:21 AM, Jorge O. Castro wrote:
> Mark blogged[1] that we should communicate things that we feel need to
> be trimmed back so I thought I would bring up the topic of the
> Nautilus context-menu (aka. right click on the desktop/file). Over the
> years I feel like this menu has been growing unchecked and now I feel
> overwhelmed when I use it. Right now when I click on a file I get:
>
> [...]
> Copy to > (and then my home and Desktop)
> Move to > (and then my home and Desktop again)

I actually haven't seen these two options before. How/Where did you find them?

> [...]
> Stretch Icon (does anyone really use this?)
> Restore Icon (grayed out unless you've resized the icon)

I have used this once, but have never bothered to for the past few years. I
don't think it will be missed. Either way, these two items only appear for items
on the desktop. Perhaps one might like to have a larger "Computer" or "Home" icon.

> Send to...
> Compress
> Revert to Previous Version (I suspect this one is there because I have
> deja-dup installed)

These are menu options added by plugins. Perhaps we can collapse them into an
"Extra Actions" submenu once they pass a certain limit, similar to how our
bookmarks collapse into a Bookmarks submenu in the Places menu.

> [...]
> Right clicking on a folder has similar options, with the addition of
> "Sharing Options" and now "Synchronize to Ubuntu One". When using
> other software I get even more options added in here (crypto options,
> dropbox, etc.). Some of the UI in these options is pretty weird. For
> example in "Send to..." I can send a file to a bluetooth device (OBEX)
> so the UI makes sense there but I can also send to "Removable disks
> and shares" and then select "Blank CD ROM", which is and odd way to
> write something to a CD. Likewise the "Sharing Options" and Ubuntu One
> options should likely be integrated together into something nicer.

Regarding the "Sharing Options" menu item, I have been thinking that it would be
a good idea to do away with it completely, since there is a "Share" tab in the
properties dialog which does exactly the same thing. In fact, it is actually the
same widget pulled from the same .ui file, then added into either a standalone
window or a property page.

--
Kind regards,
Chow Loong Jin (GPG: 0x8F02A411)