Re: [Ayatana] XDG Base Directory spec

On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 19:49 +0000, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> Also from Jo:
> > In order to clean up, perhaps Canonical and Ubuntu would consider
> > a much louder support for XDG Base Directory Specification? Many
> > developers are hesitant to follow it, perhaps a strong leadership
> >is required there as well?
>
> This seems like a real win, too. Looks like quite a few apps do support it.
>
> This sort of thing is useful for us to say "is a requirement for main
> inclusion in the next LTS", to try an accelerate adoption.

I guess what I think we should look at here is why they're not adopting
it.  I know when we made the switch for Inkscape one of the larger
issues was the migration of data and settings.  I think that this is an
issue that we have as a larger context in the distro as well.  The
package hooks that we've used are a bit fragile.  Perhaps a good
contribution here is a mechanism to make change painless.  (well, as
painless as change can ever be)

For the idea of it being a requirement for main I think we'd need a way
to test it -- which is something I'm not sure how we'd accomplish.

		--Ted