[Ayatana] monochrome applets vs user experience

after testing lucids alphas and betas, while one of my machines still runs karmic for comparison, the new design became very soothing to my eyes..

some usability points came to my perception, which i would like to share:
*bluetooth should be blue while active, should be disabled by default.
*nm applet doesn't indicate presence or status of 2nd wifi adapter in icon
*volume indicator doesn't indicate capture (see link below)
*message indicator changes size and design upon new incoming

i was alerted to https://lists.launchpad.net/ayatana/msg01195.html in respect to the topic i'm addressing here.

BT applet:
bluetooth should indicate its activity in BT tray icon, since bluetooth enabled devices usually consume extra power if it's on. also does bluetooth make a machine discoverable within a radius of sometimes up to 20m. we want to be aware of this. blue as informative color would be clearly the color of choice here, if that is not already obvious enough by the name and branded color of the protocol's icon. a disabled bluetooth may well share the default color of the other applets / indicators.

NM applet:
i connected a WLAN dongle in addition to the integrated WiFi adapter on my netbook. successfully created a new Wireless Network and went online with it. everything worked, only that the "indicator", in this case applet would be correct, didn't indicate anything about me having 2 Wifi's active on my box. there was no visual way of understanding which adapter is represented by the icon. only on mouse hover

volume indicator:
as Luke already envisioned in the thread linked above, red could be used to signal an active recording process. i use voice memos a lot, once i accidentally left it running for quite a long time, no indication of that in the tray. that's a great idea luke presented, which should receive attention now that everybody is concerned with indicators..

message indicator:
Compose New Message doesn't open my default MUA's compose dialog, instead always opens Evolution.
Compose New Message and Contacts totally break the consistency and formatting of this indicator's drop-down ("menu").
they neither have informative icons before them like the other items in this view do, nor are they indented or hidden under their parent item: Mail.
this is a bit annoying to me, and in the beginning it had me quite confused: it was not even quite clear, what type of message (IM/Broadcast/email) i was going to compose.
a "compose message" dialog would be expected here, that allows me to decide whether i want to broadcast, chat or mail someone.
The little triangles that appear when a client (Mail, IM, Broadcast) is active could serve to collapse client-related messages as they appear. using colors, they could indicate the presence of updated information or new incoming messages, while collapsed.
while i don't know if libindicator can handle any of that, i know that it would help give these triangles sense, and order the "menu" much better. otherwise we should perhaps use dots just like in the availability settings from the MeMenu, for better consistency.

i attached a dirty mockup of how the tray could look, tidy, while recording a voice-memo and clicking the message indicator.