Re: [Ayatana] Fwd: CHI Day 4 continued

On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 18:57 -0700, Dylan McCall wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Jim Rorie <jfrorie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Since stereo is pretty much standard, sound could be routed to different
> > channels depending on which side of the screen action occurs on.  Or
> > perhaps which monitor you are on.  It would help in tracking down those
> > pesky windows that run in the background that occasionally the eye
> > misses.
>
> You make some awesome points here.
>
> I remember back when PulseAudio was new there was talk about it
> opening up possibilities for sounds to be mapped to windows, and thus
> positional as a result. I'm not sure where that all went,

This already works in Lucid, and maybe did work earlier[Karmic] as well.
I'v been noticing this for a long time on my laptop.

Enable the windows and button sounds from sound prefs,
If a button on the right side of the screen is clicked , the sound is
from right , button on the left of the screen ,sound is from the left
and so on...

Even if the same dialogue window is moved to either side of the screen
the sound origin depends on where the button is clicked. It is very
impressive to notice the attention to such details.

--
Cheers,
Vish