Re: [Ayatana] Fwd: CHI Day 4 continued

On 17 April 2010 00:22, Jim Rorie  wrote:
> I think a good starting point would be to map modes of operation of the
> desktop.  Just a few off the top of my head and without particular
> importance I can think of: (Just brainstorming here)
>
> Sudo privileges active
> Different desktops (1-4)
> Battery state
> System Load
>
> Since stereo is pretty much standard, sound could be routed to different
> channels depending on which side of the screen action occurs on.

Following the route to map sound to post-processing through
GStreamer, there's a whole range of possibilities beyond sound position.

Playing with echo is one way to create a clear distinction between
modes. For example each virtual desktop could have a characteristic
reverberation - you could have desktop 1 sound like a concert hall, d2
like a cathedral, d3 like a soft muted wooden room and d4 with a
metallic space theme.

Thus locating a particular application calling for attention and which
is placed at a different virtual desktop would be easier. Artists
could use this in combination with the background wallpaper to create
quite effective themes (think virtual desktops with photos of the
suggested places in the example above).

This would help less on mobile and more in desktop and laptop
environments, when one has the processing power to use several
desktops and sound effects, and presumably the sound hardware will be
better. Mobile devices could be associated with a 'plain' theme
without processing.