Re: [Ayatana] Farewell to the notification area

On 22 April 2010 03:49, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It's a good point. The workspaces experience has languished, and I'd
like for us to climb in and improve it substantially. At the moment, we
do a half-hearted job - we ship what's there but as you say, only
configure two workspaces. I'd be inclined to say "ship without
workspaces" so that we are at least definitive about the position for
the moment.

I'd welcome a discussion about how we could make workspaces *great*. If
we can do that, then we would make more of them. And your contribution
above is a useful start: great workspaces give you easy access to some
apps regardless of the workspace you happen to be in.

Mark, I'm puzzled. What isn't already great about workspaces?

I tend to use six to eight depending upon my uses on a particular machine with one assigned to internet, one running Terminator with htop and iotop, one for Nautilus, one for Gedit, one for music (GNOME-mplayer currently), one for OpenOffice, and sometimes a few more for the Gimp and a scratchpad space for quick work using something else. I use ALT+1 etc to jump between them.

What are the problems you see with workspaces? What kind of improvements do you think are needed?

Anzan