Re: [Ayatana] Making workspaces great (branched from "Farewell to the notification area")

> I brainstormed a little on your mockup. The attached image shows
> workspaces as tabs, and inside it are the actual applications.
>
> This could easily carry dock functionality as well, where you pin some
> applications to a particular workspace.
>
> --
> Remco

Interestingly I was just about to post a response to this thread with
a similar idea...

The main problem I find with workspaces is their interaction with the
window list. It would be nice if all applications were visible on the
window list all the time *but* grouped into workspaces with an "all
workspaces" section. The "all workspaces" section could take the place
of the current notification area for minimizing apps.

I've attempted to do a quick mockup for what I mean. It's basically a
mix of how DockbarX works (icon for each app, hovering lists the
windows) and grouping of icons based on workspaces. Hovering an icon
would list the windows for that workspace, or if in the "All
workspaces" section it would list all windows for that app (in the
example imagine the cursor is hovering Firefox).

Luke.