Re: [Ayatana] Integrating Application Search & Install

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 10:36, David Siegel <david.siegel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But seriously, FAYT ("Find as you type") is a simple and powerful user
> interface idea that we've been slow to adopt, and I would love to
> explore these ideas further and find ways to improve Ubuntu with
> find-as-you-type features.

GNOME Usability are working on a design pattern library that will
eventually evolve through careful consideration of dev/user community
feedback (comments, discussion).
The initial draft (
http://live.gnome.org/UsabilityProject/HIG/ThreeZero ) inspired me to
dream a lot about tagging stuff and incremental search features, as
well as "most frequently used" journal integration wherever possible..
while we don't want to be obtrusive, we can easily be preemptive, as
we honor the most common user behaviour patterns in our desktop
design.

> It would be a great project to improve
> this dialog and merge it with the many different Open With... dialog
> implementations to introduce FAYT to users.

makes me very happy, you think that way!
FAYT (alt: FAsT) is a natural way of *augmenting* the already
brilliant UI reality in GNOME for all of us (e.g. firefox search bar,
"Run Application" dialog etc.)

you're right, we should really have more consistence here, so that
users can exploit the best of what FLOSS has to offer nowadays.

please let me know if you'd like any more mockups or perhaps some
beginner attemts at UML sketching in this direction.