Re: [Ayatana] Panel menu in 10.10 Netbook UI

Ah.

This is an idea that's been debated alot, and in general, rejected, outside of macos circles. Decoupling the menu from the application window means you have to move your mouse from an application window, through an unrelated desktop region, up to a seperate region of the screen, which means it's not at all visually obvious that the menu at the top of the screen has *anything* to do with the application.

What about dialog windows that don't have menus, and don't get maximized? In that case, the top panel will just have a large empty space?

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 04:26, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 28/04/10 00:19, Jeremy Nickurak wrote:
> I would assume that the window controls won't exist in this scenario...
>
> Am I correct in assuming that menus will only go into the top panel if
> the window is maximized, such that its window controls are hidden by
> maximus?

Neither is right, I'm afraid.

When the window is not maximised, the menu will be in the panel, and the
window title (and window controls) will be in the window.

When the window is maximised, the panel will contain:

 - the window controls (from the left, just after the Ubuntu icon)
 - the window title
 - the indicators (aligned right)

When you mouse towards the window title, or press Alt, it will be
replaced by the menu.

Mark

--
Jeremy Nickurak -= Email/XMPP: jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx =-