[Ayatana] Work by project

hi everybody,

I originally posted this proposition on the Gnome-Shell mailing list, but someone suggested me to do the same here.

I have searched a way to get a best organization of my work.

Actually in my job, I install a new machine.
For this, I have stored up documents, hyperlinks,  installation scripts,  and manufacturer contacts.
If I have done a good job, I will never work again on this machine.
But most of the time, 6 month later, my Boss will say to me: 'Hey! can you upgrade this machine and make it do the coffee now, please'
I will be glad, if I can find again all my  project documents in one box by a simple click.

I think we can handle our work by projects, and groups of projects.
A project, it's a sort of basket where we can put what we need: files, Folders, contacts, hyperlinks, applications.
-We can rename it, suppress it, save it, restore it, merge it to others.
-We use only shortcuts.

At work, at home I work by projects.
-I am in charge of the printers inventory of my company
-I have to rebuild the contacts database  of my office
-I search the best tv world for my new home.
-I make a beautiful mockup for Gnome3

And I do Activities like:
-Listen music
-Watch movies
-surf the web

I like the idea of project and I think, it's can be a good partner of "Activities".

We can already manage projects with many folders, and many shortcuts, but  you need a very big sense of organization.
I think we can change the approach of the workspace to make it more easier.

I made a first mockup, I took the idea that a desktop couldn't be  a folder in fullscreen.

I add also three timelines to get an quickly access in time to files, contacts, and folders.
The time, with Zeitgeist, will be a big component of the new Gnome3.
http://nsa15.casimages.com/img/2010/04/26/100426022404679486.png

I made also a second mockup here
http://nsa14.casimages.com/img/2010/04/29/100429085821394270.png
It's show, how we can manage projects with workspace directly from the overview.

I am not a good designer, but I hope that you understand the idea behind this drawing.

The first discussion was here:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-shell-list/2010-April/msg00200.html

Thanks for the listening.

Kao