Re: [Ayatana] Windicators

This depends from my point of view in the way 10.10 will integrate Gnome-Shell ...  because if it will be the main window manager, than only mutter has to be supported as far as I know, because GS uses only mutter, and there is currently no possibility of changing the window manager, and there is no support planned, because as the Gnome Shell devs stated, designing a shared library - a common base for window managers to implement - would require a huge effort ...
If the main window manager will not be GS though, these are serious questions indeed.

Regards,
Robert

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 5:50 PM, Sam Spilsbury <smspillaz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 03/05/10 13:22, Roth Robert wrote:
>> Another tiny detail I have a problem with... having progress status
>> indicators on the top right side and having the transient status
>> message appear on the bottom left side seems strange... do the status
>> messages have to appear on the bottom left? Until now it was fine
>> because the progress indicator was in the statusbar and the status
>> message also, but these belong together in my opinion. What if they'd
>> appear below the windicators for a short time?
>
> That's an interesting idea. One issue might be that the toolbar usually
> shows right below the window title, and it's harder to imagine the
> status message over the toolbar than over the content.
>
>> Going even further with the idea... what if they would be NotifyOSD
>> messages with smaller bubble, font, and positioned below the window
>> border?
>
> We *could* do an overlay, yes.

Sorry to hijack this discussion on to a slightly more technical issue,
but I'm not particularly sure where the whole idea started.

While I am in favour of the design aspects of "windicators"
(per-application volume control from the window itself sounds great),
I am slightly skeptical as to how this could be implemented in both
the compiz, mutter and metacity codebase, considering the fact that
currently the window decorations are drawn as a GDK image in metacity
and an X Pixmap / GTK image in compiz and the only way of interacting
with them is a series of input windows in predefined places.

In order for this to work, you would have to either a) Go and extend
libwnck to allow placement of random pixmaps and input windows in
decorations (something which will not work well) or b) Implement gtk
widgets within the decorator (which is something similar to the
libdbus notifications that ubuntu is doing right now)

If it's the latter that is the case, gtk-window-decorator and metacity
will both need some heavy lifting. How do we plan to implement this
and will any work be done upstream.

Kind Regards,

Sam Spilsbury
(Concerned Upstream)