Re: [Ayatana] Combo Indicator Applets

Personally I fully agree that giving users a way to transition at their own speed is really important. I've been thinking that retroactively promoting Lucid, which most "resistors" have referenced, might be the best way to keep customers happy for the next two years of rapid change and inovation.

This would give users a choice to stick with a solid release with LTS or jump on for the ride and be part of the next generation. This would also reduce some of the technical challanges where two methods are incompatible or where you want all users to move to the new to get better feedback on a feature.

If things go as planned the users that stuck with Lucid would be able to take the learning curve hit just once in 2012 to get the full benefit of the innovations rather than a partial hit every 6 months.

P.S. a fairly successful (market share) company recently used this strategy by extending support of their workhorse OS to 2014 while they reworked their next gen.

On May 11, 2010 11:36 PM, "Conscious User" <conscioususer@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Le mardi 11 mai 2010 à 22:31 -0500, Jonathan Blackhall a écrit :

> With the announcement of the Sound Indicator, I see that the functions > of the current Rhythmbox ...

That's not necessarily a bad thing in the short term. Regardless of
how awesome you are convinced you new idea are, I think it's
important to make a smooth transition and, at least for a while,
allow easy reversal to old behavior to avoid (quoting Martin Owens)
fanning the flames of resistance to change.

For example, I personally believe that the fact that AppIndicators
gracefully degrade to the notification area was a major step in
the long and winding road of making them universally used upstream.

On the opposite side, aggressively patching Empathy and not doing
any kind of graceful degradation when the messaging menu is not
present (and/or notify-osd is uninstalled in favor of the old
notification-daemon) was a major step in irritating some Empathy
users *and* developers and making sure they never care about
trying the messaging menu, notify-osd or even Ubuntu again.

So I vote for keeping the IA's and making them optional. Actually,
they are *already* optional, so no real work needed.

Ayatana developers should keep in mind that some people will be
upgrading from systems *without the indicator-applet*, and not
caring about those people is not good PR:

http://blogs.gnome.org/xclaesse/2010/04/01/ubuntu-lucid-indicate/
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/empathy/+bug/552543