Re: [Ayatana] Export/Import idea for Windicators

On 16/05/10 08:07, Luke Benstead wrote:
> My idea is this, each application has two indicators called "Export
> to..." and "Import from...". I'm not sure what the icons would look
> like to convey those concepts, but that's the general idea. Basically,
> these menus would adapt based on:

For designing indicators, ask yourself:

 - what is the *status* I am conveying, and
 - what options are there to manipulate that status?

If you don't have both, especially the status, don't use an indicator.
Use a menu.

In this case, what you are describing is really just part of the File
menu. So leave it there.

Now, a related and more useful concept, would be Sharing. Because you
can have a status on that: the document is either shared, or not. And if
you're being fancy, and have real-time collaboration in your app, then
there are either other people editing and viewing at the same time, or
not. *That* would make a good windicator.

Make sense?

Mark