Re: [Ayatana] Combo Indicator Applets

On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 11:57 -0600, Jeremy Nickurak wrote:
On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 05:17, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The apps should always degrade to older / alternative behaviours. It's a
bug if they don't, and I'm sorry if the Empathy case was badly handled,
we should patch things up with upstream :-)

If the category indicator (sound indicator in this case) is not present,
then AppIndicators or the SysTray (till 11.04 on Ubuntu) are available
and should be used.
I thought this meant that if the indicator applet wasn't present, the various indicators would show up via the notification-area, transparent fall-back style. You'd get a messaging menu, a rhythmbox indicator, a volume-control indicator, all in the notification tray.

Any reason not to do it this way, technical or design-wise? It seems like that would be a good way to encourage upstream adoption in particular... desktops that don't want to go full-hog into the indicator desktop experience can wade in slowly: "Here's a library that makes it easy to put stuff into the notification tray, with a consistent UI. Oh, and if you happen to have a more advanced implementation, it can do something cooler, but through precisely the same protocol!"

With Application Indicators we manage the fallback into the notification area by default, so application developers don't need to worry about that in most cases.  They can change the behavior of that fallback if they wish.

        --Ted