Re: [Ayatana] Getting rid of Evolution?

On Tue, 2010-05-18 at 22:47 +0200, Conscious User wrote:
> I like Evolution. I use it. But the more I think about it, the
> more it looks like an alien in the Ayatana world.

I use evolution for my email, calendar and contacts.... and I try and
teach people how to use it. It's got a pretty bad design on the desktop.
A facsimile of Microsoft's Outlook with a non-standard backend data
store which is not useful to more integration and further development
beyond the limited APIs we got.

I'm all for replacing evolution data store and the evolution UI, but I
fear what will happen is that we will be told to use the internet
(because everything is online right) and we won't be able to have our
data on our machines any more.

Of course if we do go about replacing Evolution, it's going to be an
awful lot of work. I know of people who would like to replace the
backend with couchdb, perhaps that's a place to start. I'd also mention
KDE's Akonadi services but they suffer much the same problems IMO.

Then there is the problem that no one's figured out how to do
incremental backups of monolithic databases so my current email database
eats through my hard drive space every time I perform a backup.

Martin,