Re: [Ayatana] replace status bar mockups

On 27/05/10 21:51, Scott E. Armitage wrote:
I like them in general, but I have some reservations.
  1. They still seem pretty big (i.e. not very "tight", as Mark put it). I already find many of the controls on those screenshots to be quite large, and everything starts adding up to eat up our screen space.

+1. The Hint Bar (as MPT has started calling it in the draft spec for Windicators) should be as tight as possible.

  1. Do we need them to be shaded? Status bars will be displaying on screens that are relatively busy already; Chrome's status bar overlays are a solid colour with no frills.

No, we explicitly do not want them shaded. They are PART OF the app, not an overlay like Notify-OSD.

  1. Do we need the icon? What purpose does it serve? Is there some other way we can provide this functionality without adding them to the status bars?

I think apps should be free to put icons in the hint bar if they want, but the guidance should be not to use that unless a very strong case for it can be made, as it will be highly transient.

  1. Could we see some mockups with the status bar displaying outside the window border? I have run into this situation in Chrome on OS X and Windows before under certain circumstances, and frankly I prefer it to in-window overlays. Of course if the window is near or at the bottom of the screen, we would move the overlay up into the window as required.

Interesting idea. Hard to achieve without window-manager support, though, and I think this is something I'd prefer to keep tight to the window itself.

Mark