Re: [Ayatana] Fwd: Open Letter: The issues with client-side-window-decorations

On Sunday, June 06, 2010 03:39:40 pm Ted Gould wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-06-05 at 23:31 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > So I think it's worth continuing the conversation.  I'm personally quite
> > concerned that we are about to have a permanent split between GTK/Gnome
> > and Qt/KDE on this topic that will make future work on desktop
> > consistency much more difficult.
>
> Why couldn't Qt support themes that specify the window title as well?
> There's already work on keeping the theming across toolkits, it seems
> like this just extends it.  I don't see this as creating a larger gap as
> before to get consistency you need to make a GTK, Qt, KWin, Compiz and
> Metacity theme (they pull from each other, but you need to check them
> all) and now you just have to make a larger GTK and Qt theme.

Near term you won't see any feature changes in Qt since the 4.7 beta is out
and we'll have 4.7 for Maverick and possibly Maverick +1.

Of the things Martin listed, window titles seems to me to be one of the least
important.

I'm still not seeing any real rationale for CSD other than it's easy to get
things done quickly.

Scott K