Re: [Ayatana] Make the progress bar more entertaining

Privet, Dima ;)

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 02:13, Dmitrijs Ledkovs <dmitrij.ledkov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I like the idea but I really don't want to see "Ooops, spilt it" when
I'm backing up an archive of all of my family photos. This doesn't
describe operating system as reliable nor precise to me.

..that would be a public way of exposing design failures ;)
make it a feature!

Tip of the day, similar to the ubiquity-slideshow might make sense.

Somewhere, perhaps. To overcome nonesense, let's consider making progress windows more informative. Splash screens used to show us WHAT exactly is loading/happening.
That was nice to watch and it was informative, unfortunately we don't see that too often anymore..

But I'd rather see everything so fast in ubuntu that I never need to
stare at the progressbar and not be able to something else, e.g.
software centre is non-blocking UI even when it is installing stuff
you can do other things.

People make you wait while they do stuff for you, so will computers.
Greater speed, greater tasks. You will not get what you are wishing for, i'm afraid.

Overall i conclude, progress windows have two main functions:

1. keep the dialog with the user alive
2. help the user understand what's going on

if they could reflect that more, i would be thankful.