Re: [Ayatana] Windicators

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 9:00 PM, Luke Benstead <kazade@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 18 June 2010 16:25, Conscious User <conscioususer@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> We'll have to think about that :-)
>
> Suggestions? Show the ones that most recently changed status?

I think that would introduce an unpredictability factor
that a lot of users wouldn't like.

Like it happens with the panel, I think we should consider
that even without the space problem there is the simple fact
that cluttering the indicator area diminishes its
usefulness.

I've always been a supporter of enforcing a limit on
indicators, like the Windows 7 notification area does
by throwing the excess icons in a popup (and allowing
the user to choose which ones have priority), because
trusting application developers to follow common sense
simply does not work.

For windicators the problem is even worse, so at the
risk of someone calling me by the Godwin word, I'd
support even flat out *forbidding* more than a certain
number via library constraints, not only separating
them to a popup. :)

Agreed. We think we should be careful to specify EXACTLY when a Windicator is suitable and restricting the number, otherwise we could end up with the notification area all over again...

I think it might even be a good idea to come up with a preferable set of Windicators that apps can use (e.g. sound, save state, connection state, shared state).

Luke.