Re: [Ayatana] [Usability] The Future of Window Borders, Menu Bars, and More

On Aug 9, 2010, at 5:56 AM, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ryan Peters wrote on 07/08/10 20:12:
>>
>>  It makes more sense for "Preferences" to go
>> under the "Application" menu than a "Tools" or "Edit" menu, doesn't it?
>
> Yes, it does -- as I said, that's probably the best example of an
> application-global item. But I think there are too few good examples to
> warrant the menu's existence.

I can name some more examples right now.

"Help" isn't window specific
"about" isn't
"Plugins"

These items have no reason to be in the window's menu, as they have an effect/apply to the whole application.

Furthermore, a lot more could be added that are app specific.

Finally, I think that the issue about a user not expecting the spreadsheet and document to close upon quit could be solved by making the menu item read "Quit OpenOffice" so it's clear what's going to happen.