Re: [Ayatana] Unity: An interactive Mock up of GUI ideas

A tricky one!

I have the beginning of an idea for this in a sketch I posted one thread down. It could lie on the desktop wall, the same as the other 'background apps' are. When it gets the focus it renders above everything else. Clicking anywhere outside of the calculator minimises it back to the wall. When it is active, everything else is slightly greyed out.

There are loads of other issues to think about. The big one is how to make it work in portrait mode and what is the transition between portrait/ landscape.

There is also a lot of potential for radical ideas (I am not a programmer, so talk is easy :D )

How about if the whole GUI was rendered through HTML5 and CSS? This has potential for an almost 'instant on' GUI after network and web services have loaded. The rest of the system resources could start up in the background, giving priority to user web activity. A  red indicator light somewhere on the screen could go green and fade away to let the user know that all services are now available. This simplifies the current approach of having to choose between 'quick' or 'full' mode at start-up. I think that starting in quick mode will quickly be followed by a user desire to be in full mode. Having to restart then will be an annoyance.