Re: [Ayatana] Do Not Disturb vs Indicator Session

Thought about it again..

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:35, frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx <frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Jan,

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 03:09, Jan Hopmans <hopkaboutertje@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 On 14/9/2010 00:33, frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Should we add an item high in the Session Menu called "Do Not Disturb" with a checkbox before it??
You could combine this with the Away, Busy, Offline status. Those mostly include situation where people don't want to be disturbed and would suffice for 90% of the people. Although this has the big disadvantage of not being transparent.

What is not transparent about it? I thought network transparency is guaranteed for Presence States in Telepathy? BTW i think telepathy should communicate presence state but it should accept Presence and custom status from the "System State".

I thought about this thoroughly, IM Presence status is strongly defined by its informative text we can customize, it is meant for human communication use cases.
A session mode corresponding with what behaviour i'd like to have while "busy" might automatically set my IM Presence state to "busy" aswell, yet should be semantically seperated from the IM state.

But you're right, we could still use the "idle" metaphor, since automatic Presence states are equally useful for IM and for system behaviour.
Then we could fade out the panel to minimal visibility, until "idle" is replaced by "default" again; "default" system Presence translate to "available" in Presence.
In order to achieve "busy", DND, not avaiable or "Silent Mode", F11 should suffice. Or pressing the "FULL" button somewhere in an applications that has it.