Re: [Ayatana] persistent awareness

Hi MPT ;)

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 15:34, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx wrote on 27/09/10 10:39:
> With a persistent indicator for activity or progress, we can also see,
> when the computer is idle: very important state to be aware of!

It really isn't.

Oh, sure it isn't *really* idle: only regarding the services we know to reside in this proposed menu, e.g. downloads or file transfer operations

Ubuntu is a multitasking OS, and applications can
inhibit logout if necessary.

..logout is not a problem here, my point is rather that options arise with such an indicator available:

We discussed prioritizing downloads for example..
or think of seeing your overall downloading progress at a glance..
or knowing how much time is approximately left, before evolution will finish syncing your emails from the cloud, or how many files Ubuntu One has completed syncing from what total number of objects..
Personally, i would love to see information from System Monitor here, i.e. whether an app is frozen or unresponsive (of course again transparently), perhaps using the warning colors we discussed so vividly before.
The frozen/unresponsive information would then again be useful in other places, e.g. window list, Unity's dock, ALT+TAB dialog etc..

my gut feeling tells me that this thinking is going in the right direction, especially with all the GSoC work done in the direction, as Dylan pointed out..
Do you think that approach in general is not yet ready for consideration here, or rather implementing it as persistent indicator would be too far fetched an idea for the moment?

greetz