Re: [Ayatana] What do app authors do for Account Dialogs?

Hi Jorge,

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 02:37, Jorge O. Castro <jorge@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have an upstream working on an application, he wants to add an
account dialog to his application, this is what he came up with:
http://i.imgur.com/9vFZF.png

So at first glance I thought "That doesn't look right". Here's
gwibber's account dialog: http://i.imgur.com/e504n.png

Gwibber's is based on Empathy. Ken decided that it was important for
the Gwibber account manager to operate as a separate application
outside of Gwibber itself. While he was reimplementing it, he took the
opportunity to streamline it and change the design to make it more
consistent with the account dialog that Empathy had at the time.
(Because hey, why not, make them behave the same!) Here's a separate
design that Ryan had come up with (just to put it out here):
http://s3.amazonaws.com/scrnshots.com/screenshots/191324/gwibber-home-screenpng

>From playing with both the empathy and gwibber dialogs they seem
similar enough for most people to not care -- though there are some
small inconsistencies that should be fixed. Evolution is different, as
well as other apps. Searching through the GNOME wiki and HIG doesn't
seem to give me any answers. Has anyone out there done research into
this topic? Is there supposed to be an example application where can I
point upstream application authors to emulate when it comes to adding
account information? Is anyone aware of GNOME handling what app
authors should do? I'd be more than happy to take the conversation
upstream if that's where it should be.

Luke started a thread a while ago.. he addressed the User Accounts dialog, but this is a beautiful solution that can also work for many other types of account setup wizards etc..

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 16:10, Allan Day <allanpday@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>         the 'about me' and 'users and groups' will be replaced by User
>         accounts
>         diagloue in maverick.

You mean the User Accounts dialog [1] that has been developed by Fedora?

This is going to be part of GNOME 3.0 (I think).

Allan

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UserAccountDialog

i think this is the most reasonable thing to look at for now, if one is looking for a good design to model an accounts dialog after..