Re: [Ayatana] Put a resize widget in the title bar

On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 17:50 +0200, Remco wrote:
> With the new theme, the resize border has been reduced to 1 pixel,
> making it annoyingly difficult to resize a window. Some solutions have
> been proposed, such as always requiring a status bar with a resize
> widget, or doing some magic with the borders to make them act like
> they are bigger than 1px. The easiest solution has--as far as I
> know--been overlooked: use the title bar. We don't use the right side
> of the title bar at the moment. Eventually, it will fill with
> windicators. How about we put one in there for every window that can
> be resized: a dotted resize handle. A mockup is attached.

Have you ever resized your window to the top-left corner of the screen?
I'm asking because I can't recall doing that myself. It feels natural to
resize to the bottom and right (it should probably be to the left for
people using RTL languages) as that's how I read.

There is already a resize grip in 10.10, at least for Gtk+ applications
that have status bar. We can also do the same Apple does - add a
"floating" (and hideable) resize grip for windows that don't have a
status bar at all.

Cheers,
 KK

--