[Ayatana] Unity-like for desktops?

Hi all,

With the release of Ubuntu 10.10, netbook users can enjoy the new,
beautiful Unity interface. But what about desktop users?
Classic GNOME have a bottom panel that includes a very basic window
list. This is disappointing after returning from Unity, especially as
it includes quick-lists - which the user can use to control certain
parts of an application very quickly.

I can see two alternatives to the basic window list in GNOME:
 * Replace the bottom panel with the Unity window list *only*. Other
features of Unity have equivalents in other parts of GNOME.
   Of course, this would require either support for 2D only in Unity
(as the classic desktop is a fallback for users with no 3D
acceleration), or detect whether the user has 3D/compositing enabled
or not.
 * Wait for GNOME Shell to provide a radical change to the desktop. I
don't like the way GNOME Shell is heading (especially as I seldom use
virtual desktops), but I'm including it here as it's the only other
alternative.

So what's your thoughts? Please share your opinions :)

Happy Maverick Day,
Mohamed Amine IL Idrissi