Re: [Ayatana] [ubuntu-art] Meerkat volume control design

>> In other cases, however, an active choice was clearly made but that
>> choice doesn't address the element's purpose.  Why should a volume
>> control menu be labelled "Mute"?  Etc.
>
> Because that's exactly what the item does. (If the speakers are already
> muted, it says "Unmute".)

The issue suddenly occurred to me. It's one we all know and love :)

Right now a regular menu item is used as a title in one place
(Rhythmbox), and an action in another (Mute). The font and spacing is
identical in both cases. Where it's used as a title, there is an extra
icon to give the illusion of having less margin on the left, but that
is semantically broken and rather unconvincing in practice.

*Insert here: grumbling about needing text classes in Gtk and how
hard-coding styles in Pango is like writing a website, with tables,
fifteen years ago*

Dylan