Re: [Ayatana] Flies in the Ice Cream...

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 22:55, Luke Benstead <kazade@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks for the mockup! That's pretty much what I was considering. Regarding the naming, judging from the names of the items in the list, this should be "Startup Services" rather than "Startup Applications/Programs". The fact that you can add startup applications seems to be an after thought.

yeah, that formulation is a bit outch.. we're not adding anything, it's already there. We're scheduling execution.
Thanks for the painful examples you stated in your original message starting this thread, these were things that so needed to be said!

This makes me wonder, should we be differentiating between "Applications" (e.g. programs a user would launch) and "Services" (background programs).

Services is what developers should call it among each other.
Before the user, we should all say "Chat", "Email" and "Bluetooth", "Broadcast" and perhaps even "Sound"..
Ideal of course would be to use the real name of the actual service being afforded, e.g. Google Talk or Skype (once we start implementing the new API with Telepathy/Ayatana) or Facebook Chat for example. If i have a button to turn Facebook ON|OFF, i don't need to look any further for a category or menu item it might be hidden behind.

If I was redesigning this, I'd probably totally remove the add button from that dialog, rename it "Startup Services" and come up with a better system for making applications launch on login.

Why "if"?

I'd probably add a "Task Scheduler" GUI which works with cron, and dbus to trigger applications at certain times and after certain events (e.g. login, network connected).

A cron GUI? Sounds sexy ;) And then make cron talk to dbus? nice!