Re: [Ayatana] Messaging menu - telepathy-indicator

for a layman.. does this mean circumventing Empathy completely on the long run?

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 04:54, Ken VanDine <ken.vandine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have been working on telepathy-indicator, as a replacement for the
current empathy patch we have been maintaining for messaging menu
integration.

I have hit a couple of issues, which I think make it not practical to
get into Maverick.  Perhaps we can address the last couple of issues and
get some good stabilization time in a PPA for Maverick+1.

 * Should notifications be handled by empathy or telepathy-indicator?
  - If empathy isn't running, but you are logged on with
    mission-control-5, you will get indicators for new chats but no
    notifications. Perhaps we should honor notification settings from
    empathy, and if using the messaging menu suppress notifications
    from empathy and display notifications via telepathy-indicator.

 * telepathy-glib doesn't provide an API for PendingMessages and
  PendingMessagesRemoved. These are needed to hide the indicator event
  if the chat was focused without activating it from the messaging
  menu. We also need to add an indicator when new messages arrive in an
  existing chat, that isn't focused. As a work around we could connect
  the signals directly over DBus, but I haven't investigated that yet.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TelepathyIndicator

Feedback?  Thoughts?

Thanks,
--Ken