[Ayatana] Unity Sidebar Background

Hi.

I think that the current idea of having the sidebar have a solid background is a bad idea.

Whenever the dash is activated or a place is opened, the top bar turns transparent. However, when the top bar is solid, it seems that the sidebar is underneath it. When the top bar suddenly disappears, then, it seems very odd that the sidebar is going underneath a transparent surface, but yet doesn't show through. This is very disconcerting.

An alternative to this is to have the sidebar have a transparent background, showing the desktop underneath. This would cause separation from the top panel. Instead I propose this:

Here is a mockup:
mockup.png

This would make the transition to the unity dash and places much smoother, since it would only look like the windows are fading out, unlike the current random transitions.

What do you think?