Re: [Ayatana] Why are the MeMenu and the messaging applet two separate things?

Hi Matthew,

Only because no-one has done the design work necessary to work out how
to merge them. Would you like to have a go?

Well, I'm probably leaving a ton of stuff out but the most obvious way to merge them and still include EVERYTHING would be this:

http://i.imgur.com/kkiPP.png

You can see how it's divided into four sections: chat, mail, broadcast and personal information, all of them with all the combined items of both menus. One can argue that it takes a lot of space and shows too many options, to which we would have some solutions:
Possibly the hardest part is working out how to communicate IM status
and new-messages status simultaneously.

We could choose what indications to show if there aren't any more important ones:
  1. Disconnected, if there is absolutely nothing else to show.
  2. Status, if Empathy is open and you're connected, and there is nothing else to show.
  3. Mail, regardless of your chat status, if you got mail.
  4. Chat, if you got a new chat message, regardless of whether you have mail or not.
I chose chat over mail because IM conversations convey more immediacy than mail, and the user probably wants to answer them before. But it could be the other way around, and there are yet other options:
What's your take on those, Matthew?

Cheers,

David.